Sliding Table - Angular Scale
The Angular Scale for crosscutting on my Sliding Table was not yet properly built and attached. I had once a temporary scale stuck with transparent tape on top of the metal table cover. It got damaged very easily rendering it useless. The solution is mounting the scale on a strip of MDF or Hardboard recessed in a cutout in the metal cover. So I removed the metal plate and proceeded to mark and make the cutout. Unfortunately I failed to shoot some photos of this operation.
I covered the area with masking tape to avoid scratches while making the cuts. This also allowed me to use a thin marker to draw the cutout outline directly on the tape. I drilled a hole in each corner with a 10mm metal drill bit and then cut the rest with a jigsaw with a metal saw blade. Adding a bead of oil on the marked line made the cutting a lot easier. Then I went over the outline with files to make it straight and neat, slightly rounding the sharp edges and corners.
This is how the modified metal cover plate looks after reinstalling it on the Sliding Table.
The metal cover plate is 3mm thick as is the MDF. Adding the paper scale and a strip of transparent tape on top increases the thickness by 0,2mm. So the MDF had to be thinned a bit. I attached it with double sided tape to a laminated board...
...and ran it carefully through the thickness planer. Worked quite well.
Tested and adjusted the MDF to fit in the cutout.
I then set the fence to exactly 0° and transferred the cursor line position to the MDF strip.
The cursor line as seen from a different wiewpoint.
Close-up of the scale. I printed the scale from the plans on regular paper and glued it to the MDF with paper glue. I set the 0° exactly using the marked line on the MDF. Then I sanded the surplus paper flush with the MDF with 40 grit sandpaper. It is important that you do not round the edges of the MDF before attaching the scale. Leaving sharp edges will work better for sanding away the surplus paper.
I added a transparent tape cover folding it to the back around the edges. This prevents it from being rubbed away with use. It is a little bit tricky to do on the round corners. It would be better to make the cutout rectangular without rounding the corners.
The fence at 45° position...
...and at 0°. Everything works nicely.
Another shot of the same area.
And finally an overview of the finished installation.
|[ back ]